Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, April 4, 2008

Our BFing journey

Sa'eed will turn one soon (boo-hoooo *tears**tears*). I have been contemplating on stopping to BF Sa'eed. Mainly because it hurts (really hurts) to nurse him. And pumping at work has become annoying because I don't get that much output anymore (3 oz now versus minimum 7 oz then). Thank God for freezer stash :)

But then, what will he get instead? The options are too many it gets my head spinning. There's cow based formula, soy milk or even fresh milk. Then I started thinking of the extra bottles that yours truly will have to wash and clean...not a very fun thought. Plus, I'd probably have to fight a battle with the little one to stop BFing....especially at night.

Some things I'd definitely miss is cuddling with Sa'eed while he nurses (minus the times when he decides to be acrobatic), or just watching him slowly drift into lala land and that precious few minutes I just get to relax because who in the right mind would nurse while doing chores, right? heh...

Then yesterday something happened. Sa'eed crawled off the bed and fell on the floor with a nasty gedebuk sound. I rushed in to see that he fell head first and was yelling...or rather, shrieking quite loudly. Enough to probably wake up the dead. I carried him and held him but nothing worked. He was crying and crying and crying (this is where you sould go awww, shian dia). So I decided to nurse him.

And nurse him I did. He quited (is this even a word?) down instantly. And after about 15 minutes, he was drifting back to sleep. So I thought...this is too easy. Shove it in his mouth and no more cries.

Right there and then I decided. BFing my baby is too precious to be ended. So yeah, Sa'eed's still nursing happily while I wince quietly.

7 comments:

Nina @ BabyBoon said...

yup, breastfeeding is much to precious to end. i wouldn't have ended it at all if it was entirely up to me. but as it is, Allah's decided it for us. and alhamdulillah gib's coping well with the decision.

to ease things along.. what about bottle feeding during the day and breastfeeding during the night? my sister's doing it with shamel and it seems to be working out. shamel's less reliant on the breasts now. just a couple of months back the only thing that'd comfort him is BF, nothing else worked.

about the options, sometimes when a baby breastfeeds as long as ours have.. its a little trying coz u gotta go through a few to find the one he likes. so my 2 cents worth is.. dont wait too long coz it gets more difficult.

Sarah said...

assalammualaikuuum....yayyyyyy!!! U have a blog at last. now i can stalk your blog 24/7 hihihi...

just dropping this comment now and will read your story esok after my beauty sleep. ;)

Anonymous said...

oooh my... oooh my (speechless)

ummi sa'eed said...

babybooned: yeah, i've been thinking that. he's used to the bottle anyways during the day, it's just a matter of extending it. eheh, i wonder how he'll take it when he's been given a bottle when he starts to sondol sondol me.

aidafiqs adamia said...

boleh tanya tak...why does it hurt when you breastfeed him eh?

dia gigit ke?

Sarah said...

...or because of the pregnancy it hurts to bf?

ummi sa'eed said...

yupp, because 'it' gets very tender during your pregnancy and sa'eed having teeth makes it even more sakit.