Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Labor

No mommy's blog would be complete without the labor story. Here's mine with 'Aatikah.

I had my regular check up on Saturday, 18th October. During that check up, my gynae said that I was already 1-2 cm dilated. She asked if I felt any contractions and I said yes, but non of that regular ones. So she gave me the option of waiting for the regular contractions or I can admit myself. Of course I opted to wait. The following week was off to the office as usual.

Then on Thursday the 23rd, my gynae said to just come for a check up. But that morning at around 10 am, I felt some contractions. Minor ones, but I thought it came at around 15 minute intervals. So off we went to the gynae with my hospital bag ready. My gynae then confirmed that I was 4 cm dilated already. I visualized that I was already 5 cm to cut things short, but oh well.

We went straight up to the maternity ward to check into the labor room. The nurses were like 'Oh you have to go down to Admission to get a room...yada yada'. Uhh....but I am 4 cm already lah nurse....baru menggelabah derang. As it turns out, I got the same room I delivered Sa'eed in plus the 2 midwifes attending to me were the same ones too.

After Zuhr, at around 1.30pm, I was given the pooping medication and soon after going to the bathroom, gynae came and broke my waterbag. And after that was when the really painful contractions started (and I forgot to trim my nails...eeeep). I opted for the gas and got woozy after inhaling the good stuff. But the gas didn't really take the pain away, just took the edge of the pain off plus it was a reminder to breathe. There were times when I tried to ride the contractions without the gas....hoo boy...bad choice.

But anyways, apparently I wasn't 'properly' dilated and I had to push while laying on my right for a couple of times. After that the midwife said to call when I had the urge to pass motion. I did, and she then said to call again when I felt the baby was about to pop out...pulak dah.

Whatever it is, I had the urge to pass motion AND I felt like baby was coming out. But the midwife said that the head was still high up. Better start pushing her down before the gynae came. Being the good patient, that was exactly what I did. The midwife only called my gynae when baby's head was lodged wherever it should be lodged at. It took some pushes to get there and I was afraid that I won't have energy left to push her out later on since I didn't eat lunch. But I think the ton of kurma I had eaten throughout Ramadhan and also after that really helped.

I think my gynae came at around 4ish and 'Aatikah was out at 4.12pm. Alhamdulillah :)

0 comments: