Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Daily commute


Credits: unknown, received in forwarded email

And I thought the commute to and from work in KL is bad enough. It's even worse in China! Even the attendants help to stuff people into the train.

It takes me on average 45 minutes to get to work (door to door). And it's just 30 minutes to get there by car...but this is without parking. I guess when you add in the parking factor, it should be around 45 minutes. I seriously don't mind taking the public transportation, coz it's more environmentally friendly I suppose. What I do mind if it gets delayed.

And I DO have qualms about the state of our country's public transportation. Especially the trains. The map below looks fine and dandy, with interchanges and all that jazz. It's a given that you might have to change trains at some point depending on where you're headed to. Looks ok right?


WRONG! What it doesn't tell you is that you might need to get out of the station and purchase another ticket for another train line. That is just plain annoying. For example, if you need to go to Bukit Bintang from Kelana Jaya. You take the Rapid KL Kelana Jaya Line until KL Sentral. Then you'll have to get out of the KL Sentral station, walk through a parking lot, cross the street and buy another ticket for the Monorail to get to Bukit Bintang. Yes, you can use the Touch n Go card, which I think is God sent...only if it works EVERYWHERE! If you constantly get on or off some little station expecting your TnG card to work, I wish you Good Luck.

In my 'ol student days, I remembered one time I wanted to visit a friend in London from the States where I was currently residing. I booked a ticket on Virgin Airlines and the flight only leaves from an airport in Washington DC. So, while carrying a 15 kilo duffle bag, this was my journey:

Apartment, walk to -> Bus depot, bus to -> Baltimore Train Station, train to -> DC Train Station, shuttle bus to -> Metro line, train to -> Airport

Lots of transits and multiple buses and trains, but I didn't really mind because everything was on schedule and I could time my journey perfectly. Even in London, we took the Underground everywhere. But nevertheless, I took a cab on the way back from the airport to my apartment...hehe.

Oh well, can't have everything my way, right.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

omg!! the situation in that video is insane!!! and they look like they are really cooperating with the situation. yelah, no choice kan. :(

i agree with our public transportation. it's horrible. never ending problems. there's already so many ppl complaining about it and ive read it almost everywhere. i terbaca there's this guy who spent more or less 8 hours a day in a public transport! dah la tu, naik keta, then bus berapa kali and then naik turun ktm, lrt...siksa wor.

i hope there are monthly tickets for workers so that they dont have to buy tickets everyday... and the tickets should be sold at other stations too.

ummi sa'eed said...

ada tu ada, pro: don't have to lalu machines. con: only worth it if your journey passes through 10 stations or something (and this is only on one line, not if you have to change lines).

Like myself, I only have to pass 7 or 8 stations, so not worth it. Still have to buy the ticket, but you can store value in it, which is quite ok...until the machine is rosak...gaaaah